Melbourne city aerial view

Freedom of Information

Freedom of Information

Understand your rights under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 and make a request.

Under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (the FOI Act), everyone has the right to ask for access to documents held by Greater Western Water.

You have the right to:

  • access documents about the activities of Greater Western Water
  • access documents about your personal affairs
  • request that incorrect or misleading information held by Greater Western Water about you be amended

What documents can I access?

  • documents created by Greater Western Water
  • documents supplied to Greater Western Water by an external party

You can apply for access to documents no older than 5 July 1978. However, if the documents are about your personal affairs, there is no time limit

What documents can’t I access?

Not all documents are available but this should not deter you from asking for access as each document is assessed on its merits before a decision is made.

The FOI Act allows Greater Western Water to refuse access to some documents including:

  • cabinet documents
  • some internal working documents
  • law enforcement documents
  • documents covered by legal professional privilege (legal advice)
  • documents containing personal information about other people
  • documents containing information provided to Greater Western Water in confidence
  • documents containing information provided to Greater Western Water by a business
  • documents which are covered by secrecy provisions in other laws.

You may be refused access to an entire document or you may be given access to a document with some information deleted.

Part II Statement

The Part II Statement outlines the functions of Greater Western Water and provides an overview of the type of documents and information we hold in relation to these functions.

We aim to make our information and documents easily accessible to members of the public.

If you are not able to find the document or information you are trying to locate, you can search our website or contact us

Statement 1 – organisation and functions

Greater Western Water is one of two metropolitan Melbourne's water businesses owned by the Victorian Government. Greater Western Water was created by the integration of City West Water and Western Water on 1 July 2021.

Greater Western Water provides drinking water, sewerage, trade waste and recycled water services to customers in Melbourne’s central business district, inner and western suburbs, as well as the north-west area of Melbourne.

Our service areas includes Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melbourne (north of the Yarra River), Moonee Valley, Wyndham, Yarra, Melton, and Hume and the Macedon Ranges.

Each year we supply over 93 billion litres of drinking water to our customers and transfer a large majority of the sewage and trade waste we collect to Melbourne Water’s Western Treatment Plant in Werribee. The remainder is treated at one of our eight Water Treatment Plants.

In addition to our core business, we have many programs and policies in place to help us achieve our vision to be a truly sustainable water business.

Our structure

Our business is managed by an Executive Leadership Team, which consists of the Managing Director, four General Managers, a Chief Transformation Officer, a Chief People Officer, a Senior Executive Advisor - GWW Integration, a Chief Financial Officer and a Chief Information Officer.

The Executive Leadership Team oversees policy implementations, the day-to-day management of our people, and the delivery of services to our customers. Learn more about our leadership team

Our Board of Directors are appointed by our shareholder, the Victorian State Government. Directors provide the Board with a broad range of skills to the business, including management, engineering, financial, legal and environmental expertise. Learn more about our board of directors

Statement 2 – categories of documents maintained by Greater Western Water

Greater Western Water develops and maintains a wide range of documents.

The types of documents include:

  • policies, plans, procedures and guidelines
  • briefings and reports, including investigation reports
  • registers and databases
  • correspondence
  • applications
  • permits, agreements and licenses
  • financial records
  • audio visual material, including CCTV.

Search the Greater Western Water website for more information on these categories.

Statement 3 - Publications

This is material that Greater Western Water has published or that is available for inspection. It includes our Annual Report.

Our Annual Reports provide an overview of our operational performance, audited financial reports and key achievements of the year.

Statement 4 – Subscription Services

There are currently no Greater Western Water subscription services.

Statement 5 – How to make a Freedom of Information request

What is Freedom of Information (FOI)?

Greater Western Water is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act).

The FOI Act allows for people to gain access to information and documents maintained and held by Greater Western Water. The FOI Act gives people the right to request documents relating to their personal affairs, as well as information about any of the activities being conducted as part of Greater Western Water.

A Freedom of Information (FOI) request needs to be made in writing to the agency that holds the documents being requested.

How do I make a request under FOI?

Before submitting a FOI request online you are encouraged to contact us as the information may already be publicly available without having to make an FOI request.

If you still wish to make a request, you can make an FOI request and pay the requisite application fee.

What will it cost?

Fees and charges are set by the State Government and include:

  From 1 July 2021
Application fee $30.10
Search charge $22.50
Photocopying (black and white) 0.20c

Some fees may not apply. Please submit a copy of your concession or health care card and we will let you know.

If we estimate that your charges may exceed $50, we may ask you if you wish to proceed and (if so) you will need to pay a deposit.

Submit a Freedom of Information request online today

For submissions via post

FOI Officer, Greater Western Water
Locked Bag 350
Sunshine VIC 3020

Please ensure your cheque/money order for $30.10 is made payable to Greater Western Water.

How long will it take?

We must issue our decision within 30 days of a valid application being received unless that period has been extended in accordance with the FOI Act. Delays may occur if your application:

  • is not clear and requires further clarification
  • does not include the application fee
  • requires payment of a deposit.


The FOI Act requires Greater Western Water to consult with third parties about your request if the information contained in the relevant documents falls within certain exemptions. As part of the consultation process, your name and a brief description of your request may be provided to any person or body with whom we must consult.