Bushfires and your water supply
Prepare your home for the bushfire season
In a bushfire emergency
- Call 000
- Visit VicEmergency or call the VicEmergency Hotline - 1800 226 226
- Call Wildlife rescue - 1300 094 535
- Call VicRoads for road closure information - 13 11 70
Do not rely on mains water in a bushfire emergency.
You may have no water supply or low water pressure. This can be because of:
- power outages
- increased need for water from residents and the Country Fire Authority (CFA)
- extreme heat or fire damage to our assets.
How to prepare
- Adopt a fire hydrant - Find your closest hydrant, keep it clear of weeds and rubbish and accessible to firefighters. Call us if it’s faulty, damaged or missing clear markers.
- Keep fresh tap water in clean drinking containers for emergencies.
- Make sure we have your contact details to reach you in emergencies. In extreme situations, however, we may not be able to.
Visit the CFA website to find out how to be bushfire-ready this season.
What we’re doing
Greater Western Water prepares for the bushfire season by getting people and networks ready for extreme conditions.